Monday, 20 April 2009

Cryptography + Arithmatic = GeekyFun!

A few years back (before the era of widespread Sudoku craze), I was hooked on a particular type of cryptarithm. Being a puzzle enthusiast that I always am, I had a book full of this puzzle which was almost completed.

Having nothing much to do, it sure feels sentimental if I can revisit those puzzles and re-evaluate my deduction capability.

***

A typical example of such puzzle is as follows. (created by this old dude)

    S E N D
+   M O R E 
= M O N E Y
  

The goal is to identify the value of each letter, while abiding to the following rules:

  1. Each letter must represent a different digit
  2. The leading/leftmost digits must not be zero
  3. The solution is unique (usually, unless otherwise stated)

If you’re willing and persistent enough to try, it is not difficult to discover the solution.

    9 5 6 7
+   1 0 8 5 
= 1 0 6 5 2
  

Interested? More cryptarithms can be found here.

***

Also, try out below puzzles too. They took me a half-a-lunchtime to create and verify. (The solutions may not be unique)

    S A Y A
+   S U K A 
= M A S A K
  

           K A U
+   B O L E H 
=     B A L I  K
  

    A Z I E
+     A N D 
= H Y R E E
  

Do post your answers in the comments.

4 comments:

fadhli said...

saya suka masak:

6 2 8 2
+ 6 3 4 2
-------------
= 1 2 6 2 4
=============

kau boleh balik:

9 5 7
+ 8 4 3 6 2
-------------
= 8 5 3 1 9
=============

azie and hyree:

unsolvable kan? saje je eh.

try this one. should be easy.

T A K
+ B A I K
-------------
= T I P U
=============

cool btw. haha.

fadhli said...

oops buruk pulak susunan dia bila dh submit comment. convert all to courier and it should be ok. hehe.

HyRee said...

Since I already stated that the solutions are not unique, here are the alternative answers:

1) saya + suka = masak --> 7464 + 7284 = 14748
2) kau + boleh = balik --> 846 + 13972 = 14918
3) whoops... my bad.... no solution heh
4) tak baik + tipu --> 739 + 6309 = 7048

Fadhli: Oleh kerana kau seorang employee Nokia yang mesti cekap gila programming, please write a script determines all the possible solutions for each puzzle.

Hafizah said...

perbincangan orang2 genius. tahniah lah korang.